Projects

Here is a selection of some of the major HCI research projects I have been involved in during my career as a user researcher. Through these projects, I have had the opportunity to work with a number of amazing collaborators and develop my skills as a collaborative researcher. If you are interested in learning more details about these projects, beyond what is available on my site, please reach out to me. I’d love to share.

Community Food Access Study

This community-based participatory research project, in partnership with Boulder Food Rescue, aims to explore the diversity of experiences people have with food insecurity in hopes of identifying ways that we can improve community-level food access. We are also exploring the role technology plays in helping people overcome barriers to food access.

We successfully crowdfunded a significant portion of this study. You can see our crowdfunding page here.

Thumbnail

Health Bridge Project

The project explored the role of mobile technology in helping people eating healthier. This research has explored the health practices of low socioeconomic status (SES) populations to inform the iterative design of a mobile application, Snack Buddy, to improve families snacking habits. This work has shifted to looking at the mechanisms of action and active components of mobile health applications by deploying to a large, broader population of users. The Health Bridge Project was funded by National Science Foundation Award No IIS-0846024.

Learn more about Snack Buddy and the design process behind it.

Project eCSite – Engaging Computer Science in Traditional Education

I served as an NSF GK12 Fellow as part of Project eCSite at the University of Colorado Boulder. In this work, I explored opportunities to bring computer science concepts and computational thinking into a traditional health classroom at a local high school. Through this project, I built an interactive lesson to teach students about STI risk and transmission using computational graphs and conducted a research study comparing the lesson to their traditional, lecture-based lesson.

The lesson used a jquery web application that allowed students to manipulate visual representations of sexual networks. Students could change the structure of the network by adding or removing edges between nodes. They could also add sources for the STI infection and protection on specific people that would act the buffer the network from the spread of the STI. The application used in the lesson can be found here.

Wardenburg Electronic Medical Record (WEMR) Project

I conducted an ethnographic study of EMR use at a medium-sized primary care clinic on a college campus. I shadowed 10 providers for over 50 hours, conducted individual interviews, and hosted focus groups with clinic providers. The goal was to understand work practices and EMR use in the clinic to then identify challenges facing the clinic in the use of their EMR system. Ultimately, we identified several areas of major concern with the system and presented to the EMR vendor along with the health clinic to help them implement improved systems and processes.